Our Mission and Beliefs
The members and friends of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Worcester covenant to be a congregation of love, hope and justice inspiring people to take on the challenges of a changing world.
We encourage a free and responsible search for religious truth and recognize that truth is experienced in many different ways. You will find no dogma here, only a willingness to explore spirituality, accept wonder, do justice, and seek understanding. Click Here for more information on Unitarian Universalist beliefs.
The Seven Principles of Unitarian Universalism that we affirm and promote:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part
Our Covenant of Right Relations
In consonance with the principles and purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association, we the members and friends of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Worcester covenant to sustain and support a courageous and caring community by:
• Bringing our best selves to form a welcoming, loving, and inclusive community of faith;
• Creating an atmosphere of celebration and worship in a safe environment;
• Providing opportunities where diverse people and points of view are respected and where open-hearted and open-minded discussion of our differences is encouraged;
• Treating each other with kindness and respect;
• Approaching conflicts with a spirit of humility and with the respectful intent for peaceful resolution;
• Engaging in and encouraging spiritual and intellectual growth across the lifespan;
• Fostering social justice and positive transformation in our community and in the world at large;
• Growing and maintaining the resources necessary to support the missions and ministries of this congregation;
• Fostering fellowship and enjoying each other and the unique gifts that each person brings to our community.
We are a Welcoming Congregation
Our congregation is a welcoming, loving, inclusive community that is dedicated to making our ministries and resources available to people regardless of creed, faith, national origin, race, color, gender, sexual or affectional orientation, or physical ability.
We are recognized by the larger Unitarian Universalist movement as a Welcoming Congregation for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people.
We are host to a variety of community groups including the Greater Worcester Humanists, and are currently working to become recognized by the larger UU movement as an Accessible Congregation encouraging the full participation of people including those with a variety of physical, mental and emotional challenges.