UUCW is instituting a new year-long experiment in monthly ministry themes for the 2016-17 church year. These themes – Touchstones – will be explored through worship, small group ministries, and various written reflections throughout each month. We hope these themes ground and deepen the spiritual life of congregants and friends by expanding opportunities for family-based religious exploration and a deepened spiritual focus for individuals and small groups.
You are invited to open your heart by taking these themes into your everyday life. The material in the Touchstones Journal will help facilitate this process.
Touchstones Journal, published monthly from the Mountain Desert District of the UUA, is the main resource for the monthly themes.
Each edition of Touchstones Journal offers:
- An introduction to the theme of the month;
- A Wisdom Story for All Ages;
- Faith & Theology that explores the theme in-depth;
- Family Matters for use by parents and religious educators with materials on the theme
and 2-3 activities to explore the theme with children;
- Small Group Discussion Guide for adults;
- Readings from the Common Bowl (a quotation on the theme for each day of the month);
- Contemplations (a guide to delve deeper and an invitation to receive a brief reading three days a week); and
- A Wordle on the theme and articles, poetry, and Creative Commons licensed photos as space allows.
Below are the monthly themes for September 2016-August 2017. With each one there will be an accompanying Touchstones Journal posted with all the materials listed above. Last year’s newsletters can be found here.
- September 2016: Worth & Dignity
- October 2016: Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- November 2016: Care of the Soul
- December 2016: Healing
- January 2017: Courage
- February 2017: Respect
- March 2017: Balance
- April 2017: Consolation/Desolation
- May 2017: Acceptance
- June 2017: Prophetic Imperative
- July 2017: Circle of Life
- August 2017: Ambiguity/Paradox
** The journal is available to all UUCW members. Please contact the for the password.